- 27 min ago Ssangyong Tivoli Facelift Unveiled In South Korea — Features A New Engine And Tweaked Interiors
- 59 min ago Hyundai Venue Bookings Cross The 17000 Mark — India Loves The Korean Bestseller
- 1 hr ago Skoda Unveils 2020 Superb — Tech Overload
- 3 hrs ago Hero Launches Splendor Special Edition — It’s Been 25 Years Since The Splendor Was Introduced
- News TMC suspends Mukul Roy’s son Subhrangshu, son of BJP's Mukul Roy, for 6 years for anti-party comment
- Sports Indian women lose 0-4 to Korea in inconsequential 3rd match of hockey series
- Movies Prabhas Starrer Saaho's Rumours Have Been Busted; Are The Fans Disappointed?
- Lifestyle Cannes 2019 Diary: Who Looked The Most Flawless At amfAR Gala 2019?
- Finance Ashok Leyland's Q4 Profit Declines 12%; Board Declares Dividend
- Technology Oppo K3 vs other mid-range smartphones with 6GB RAM
- Education HSCAP Allotment Result 2019 Kerala Released
- Travel The Bustling City Of Muzaffarnagar In Uttar Pradesh
Maruti Suzuki is all set to launch its first electric car in 2020. The company will launch the electric version of its WagonR offering as its first EV. According to BusinessLine, Maruti is developing the e-version of the WagonR with Toyota.
According to an official, "WagonR EV will be the first electric car to be launched by the company, in 2020. It will most likely be manufactured at Suzuki's plant in Gujarat as the battery manufacturing facility of the partnership Toyota is also coming up there."
The Electric version of the WagonR will be the first offering from the partnership between the two companies. Toyota has already announced that the company will help Suzuki in developing an ultrahigh-efficiency powertrain.
Maruti Suzuki is also preparing to launch the next generation WagonR in India sometime later this year. The WagonR EV however, will be part of an all-new lightweight platform. The new platform will help bring down the weight of the car considerably.
Maruti however, are still deciding on the which facility to use for the production of the WagonR EV. The standard WagonR model is currently manufactured at the company's Haryana plant in Gurugram.
According to MSIL officials, the production of the EV variant of the WagonR might also be produced in the same facility. Although, the batteries will be sourced from Gujarat.
"There are many options. People think it will be the Gujarat factory because the battery plant is there, but it can be from any of the plants in Manesar or Gurugram (in Haryana)."
Thoughts On The Electric Version Of The WagonR
The Maruti Suzuki WagonR was first launched in 1999. The hatchback offering has sold over 20 lakh units, which is available in both manual and auto gear shift option. The WagonR has seen many updates over the year, with the latest iteration set to launch later this year.