TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Cyclone Phethai Updates — 10000 Response Teams On Standby
- IPL Auction 2019 — All You Need To Know
- Tax Filing Increased Most By Taxpayers Declaring Income Between Rs 5-10 Lakh
- This 13-Year-Old Indian Boy Owns A Software Company In Dubai
- Star Screen Awards 2018 — Check Out The Winners List
- Ford Figo ‘Blu’ Facelift Spy Pics Out — The New Ford Figo CNG Variant For 2019?
- Kashmir: The Mise-en-Scène Of Bollywood
- Ranveer Singh And Adah Sharma's Bollywood-inspired Outfits Are Perfect For Movie Buffs
But after 14 long years of existence the Accent is now too old to compete with a modern breed of sedans and hatchbacks. Sales in recent years have been poor and fast declining. A senior Hyundai official has now informed Livemint that Accent production for Indian market has been stopped.
Besides the age and low sales numbers, the other reason for the decision is the planned introduction of a new hatchback model. "We will be launching our small car both in petrol and diesel variants. The move to phase out Accent is taken in that direction," the official stated.
The said hatchback will be brand new model that will be placed between the i10 and i20, with an aim to compete directly against Maruti Suzuki Swift. The new hatchback will feature the Hyundai's new ‘fluidic' design theme that is also seen in the new Verna and i20.
Production of Accent sedan will not be completely stopped though. Hyundai's Chennai plant will continue to manufacture the model for export markets, such as Algeria and other African nations.
The new hatchback model Hyundai is talking about is expected to be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show later this year, with an Indian entry possibly in early 2014.