Reigning MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez set the fastest time on the opening day of the second official MotoGP test of 2017 at Phillip Island in Australia. Valentino Rossi ended the day in the second spot.
The Repsol Honda rider posted a time of 1m29.497sec and set the benchmark for the day at the beginning of the final hour. The Italian veteran was the closest challenger and finished within two-tenths behind the Spaniard's time.
Suzuki's Andrea Iannone was the third fastest and did a 1m29.926s lap, followed by Yamaha's Maverick Vinales 1m29.989sec. The top satellite rider was Cal Crutchlow, who on his RC213V posted 1m30.215sec lap to finish third.
With two minutes to go, Danilo Petrucci claimed the sixth fastest spot, which dropped Honda's Dani Pedrosa and Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso to seventh and eighth respectively. The 22-year-old Aussie, Jack Miller (Marc VDS Honda) was ninth fastest in the session.
Jonas Folger was the top rookie for the day, who finished in tenth place on his Tech3 Yamaha machine and just ahead of Ducati's new rider Jorge Lorenzo. The Spaniard was 1.134sec slower than the pacesetter Marquez.
Three hours into the session, red flags were out in order to repair the tyre wall at Turn 6, following the crashes of Sam Lowes (Aprilia) and Alvaro Bautista (Aspar Ducati). Other riders who fell on Wednesday includes Scott Redding, Hector Barbera and Pol Espargaro.
MotoGP Phillip Island Test, Day 1 Results
1. Marc Marquez (Honda) 1m29.497s
2. Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) +0.186s
3. Andrea Iannone (Suzuki) +0.429s
4. Maverick Vinales (Yamaha) +0.492s
5. Cal Crutchlow (Honda) +0.568s
6. Danilo Petrucci (Ducati) +0.765s
7. Dani Pedrosa (Honda) +0.784s
8. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) +0.913s
9. Jack Miller (Honda) +0.929s
10. Jonas Folger (Yamaha) +1.081s
11. Jorge Lorenzo (Ducati) +1.134s
12. Alvaro Bautista (Ducati) +1.273s