Stage 11 of the 2016 Dakar Rally had more action. Nasser Al-Attiyah took the stage win in the car category, while Honda rider Paulo Goncalves crashed and had to be airlifted. Antoine Meo took the stage win in the motorcycle category.
Stage 11 proved to be the toughest stage yet, since out of 87 riders who left the start line, only 14 made it through the entire 267 mile special section. The stage had to be cut short again, keeping safety in mind.
Nine time WRC Champion Sebastien Loeb faced difficulties keeping up with the Qatari, since just 2 kilometers from the finish line, Loeb's Peugeot stopped. He crossed the line, thanks to Cyril Despres, who towed Loeb's car.
Toby Price, the race leader in the motorcycle category finished stage 11 in the second place, followed by Pablo Quintanilla. Paulo Goncalves wanted to make up for lost time, but crashed. He was left with a concussion and had to be airlifted to the hospital. The Portuguese rider's Dakar Rally is officially over for 2016.
In the quad category, Alejandro Patronelli took the stage win, followed by the South African rider, Baragwanath in second. Eduard Nikolaev took the stage win in the truck category.
2016 Dakar Rally Stage 11 Results
1. Antoine Meo (FRA) KTM
2. Toby Price (KTM) (AUS) KTM
3. Pablo Quintanilla (CHL) Husqvarna
1. Nasser Al-Attiyah (QAT) Mini
2. Sebastien Loeb (FRA) Peugeot
3. Mikko Hirvonen (FIN) Mini
1. Alejandro Patronelli (ARG) Yamaha
2. Brian Baragwanath (ZAF) Yamaha
3. Marcos Patronelli (ARG) Yamaha
1. Eduard Nikolaev (RUS) KAMAZ
2. Pieter Versluis (NLD) MAN
3. Ton Van Genugten (NLD) IVECO