Honda Cars India has announced that several of their vehicles are affected by the Takata airbag issue. Both front and passenger side airbag inflators have an issue, which was manufactured by Takata. The total number of vehicles affected by the recall is 1,90,578 units sold by Honda India.
Here is the breakdown according to model, manufacturing period, and number of affected vehicles:
- 22,483 units of Honda Accord, which were manufactured between 2003-2011
- 1,514 units of Honda CR-V, which were manufactured between 2009-2011
- 2 units of Honda Civic, which were manufactured in 2007
- 13,603 units of Honda Civic, which were manufactured between 2009-2011
- 1,37,270 units of Honda City, which were manufactured between 2008-2011
- 15,706 units of Honda Jazz, which were manufactured between 2009-2011
Customers can check if their Honda vehicle is being recalled. Click on the link here https://www.hondacarindia.com/PUD5VG/6CA6DA6EAPUDCustomerInquiry.aspx and fill in your 17 characters alpha-numeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
Replacement of airbag inflators will commence from September 2016. Honda will directly communicate with its customers. The recall is being announced voluntarily and no additional cost will be borne by the customer of the vehicle.
Both Civic and CR-V will witness replacement of airbag inflators from July 15, 2016, onwards. Honda and Takata have been in the news for massive recall worldwide. The faulty airbag issue is by far the biggest recall by an automobile manufacturer in the recent times.