It is 2016 and many new cars have been launched in the last few months. Competition is getting very intense, and pricing is also getting very competitive. One good example is when Ford dropped the prices of the EcoSport after Maruti launched the Vitara Brezza in India.
So if you're out there looking for a good car, this list is exactly what you should be looking at. Here is a list of best cars to buy in 2016. The list includes cars from different segments sold in India, excluding the luxury cars.
Note: Prices mentioned are approximate on-road (Delhi) values
1. Maruti Alto 800
Entry level hatchbacks are the most sold in India, and of them is the Alto 800. The Alto has proved to be a good product for someone who is looking for a small car to run around in the city. Also, what backs up the car is Maruti's wide spread service network.
- Engine: 796cc, 47bhp, 69Nm torque
- Mileage: 22.74km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 2.86 lakh onward
2. Renault Kwid
A potent rival to the Maruti Alto 800 is the Renault Kwid. The entry level car from the French carmaker has already racked up sales and is inching closer to the top spot month after month. One major aspect as to what makes the car a best seller is its looks and road presence.
- Engine: 799cc, 53bhp, 72Nm torque
- Mileage: 25.17km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 2.88 lakh onward
3. Maruti Suzuki Celerio
Moving up a segment, the Maruti Suzuki Celerio is a good choice since the car is offered with an optional Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) gearbox and also with a diesel engine that has been developed in-house by Maruti itself.
- Engine: (P) 998cc, 67bhp, 90Nm torque | (D) 793cc, 46bhp, 125Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 23.1km/l | (D) 27.62km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 4.29 lakh onward
4. Hyundai Grand i10
If looks, features and performance matter more than wide spread service network, the Hyundai Grand i10 is the best pick. The Grand i10 looks good and is the best selling car for the South Korean carmaker. The Grand i10 too is available with a choice of petrol and diesel engines, and also a CNG variant.
- Engine: (P) 1197cc, 81bhp, 114Nm torque | (D) 1120cc, 70bhp, 160Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 18.9km/l | (D) 24km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 5.32 lakh onward
5. Maruti Suzuki Swift
The Maruti Suzuki Swift is a brilliant car since it has a very good balance between power, mileage, and handling. What it does lack is better styling, although it does not look too bad. The Swift continues to be a good seller for the carmaker but sales figures are falling.
- Engine: (P) 1197cc, 83bhp, 115Nm torque | (D) 1248cc, 74bhp, 190Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 20.4km/l | (D) 25.2km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 5.13 lakh onward
6. Hyundai Elite i20
Quite similar to what we had seen earlier - if looks, performance and features is more important, the Hyundai Elite i20 is a better pic compared to the Swift. The i20 carries forward the Fluidic design concept to a whole new level and the end result is a stunning looking hatchback.
- Engine: (P) 1197cc, 82bhp, 115Nm torque | (D) 1396cc, 89bhp, 220Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 18.6km/l | (D) 22.54km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 6 lakh onward
7. Maruti Suzuki Baleno
The Maruti Baleno is another hot seller for Maruti and in this segment. Maruti has brought back the famous Baleno name and to a worthy car since it does offer decent performance and great looks. Powering the Baleno are the same petrol and diesel engines that power the Swift.
- Engine: (P) 1197cc, 83bhp, 115Nm torque | (D) 1248cc, 74bhp, 190Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 21.4km/l | (D) 27.3km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 5.66 lakh onward
8. Honda City
Honda introduced the City in India and it soon became an instant hit. The petrol engine was very reliable and performed really good, which was a major factor in sales. Recently however, demand for diesel engines increased and Honda introduced a diesel motor as well, which helped the car sell even more.
- Engine: (P) 1497cc, 117bhp, 145Nm torque | (D) 1498cc, 99bhp, 200Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 17.8km/l | (D) 26km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 8.76 lakh onward
9. Maruti Suzuki Ciaz
If you're a person looking for a car that looks similar to the Honda City, but with a Maruti Suzuki badge, the Ciaz is the answer. Apart from looking similar to the City. the Ciaz is a good looking vehicle and Maruti is selling good numbers in the Indian market.
- Engine: (P) 1373cc, 91bhp, 130Nm torque | (D) 1248cc, 89bhp, 200Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 20.73km/l | (D) 28.09km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 8.55 lakh onward
10. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga
So if Multi Purpose Vehicles (MPVs) is what you are looking for, the Ertiga is a good pick as it can seat your entire family comfortably. Another advantage is the choice of petrol and diesel engines, along with Maruti's wide spread service network.
- Engine: (P) 1373cc, 94bhp, 130Nm torque | (D) 1248cc, 89bhp, 200Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 17.5km/l | (D) 24.52km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 6.43 lakh onward
11. Renault Lodgy
If space seems to be a little cramped in the Ertiga, the Lodgy is a good alternative, since the MPV from Renault has a lot of headroom. Another added advantage is the choice of two powerful diesel engines that drives the Lodgy, the same ones as the Duster.
- Engine: (D) 1462cc, 84/108bhp, 200/245Nm torque
- Mileage: (D) 21.04/19.98km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 9.83 lakh onward
12. Ford Ecosport
The Ford Ecosport was the first sub-4 metre SUV in India and that is one of the prime reasons why Ford is being able to sell good numbers. The EcoSport is available in three engines, two petrols and one diesel. In recent times however, Ford is facing tough competition from competitors in the Indian market.
- Engine: (P) 1499/999cc, 110/124bhp, 140/170Nm torque | (D) 1498cc, 99bhp, 205Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 15.8/18.9km/l | (D) 22.7km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 7.38 lakh onward
13. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza
One of the main competitors for the EcoSport comes in the form of the Vitara Brezza, which forced Ford to reduce prices by more than a lakh for the EcoSport. The Brezza is selling like hot cakes and is sold with a diesel engine only.
- Engine: (D) 1248cc , 89bhp, 200Nm torque
- Mileage: (D) 24.3km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 7.95 lakh onward
14. Hyundai Creta
The Hyundai Creta is a very good looking compact SUV from the South Korean carmaker. The Creta became an instant hit for Hyundai and there has been no looking back ever since the SUV was launched in India. The Creta comes with two diesel and one petrol engine, while it is also offered with an automatic gearbox.
- Engine: (P) 1591cc, 122bhp, 154Nm torque | (D) 1396/1582cc, 89/126bhp, 224/265Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 15.29km/l | (D) 21.3/19.6km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 10.24 lakh onward
15. Mahindra Scorpio
The Mahindra Scorpio became an instant success for Mahindra when launched years ago, and from then on, Mahindra had just one direction to go with the Scorpio and that was forward. The choice of a 4X4 and automatic gearbox makes the SUV very versatile, although it is bought to use in the city most of the time.
- Engine: (D) 2179cc , 120bhp, 280Nm torque
- Mileage: (D) 15.4km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 10.78 lakh onward
16. Toyota Corolla
The world of sedans has one winner, and that is the Toyota Corolla. The Sedan has been the best seller for Toyota around the world for ages, and that is because the vehicle is just that good. The Toyota Corolla may not be the best seller in India or for Toyota in India, but that does not deny the fact that it is good sedan.
- Engine: (P) 1798cc, 138bhp, 173Nm torque | (D) 1364cc, 87bhp, 205Nm torque
- Mileage: (P) 16.7km/l | (D) 21.3km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 15.8 lakh onward
17. Chevrolet Cruze
The Chevrolet Cruze may be the worst selling car for the American carmaker, but has a brilliant engine and is built like a 'Tank' according to customers who already own one. The powerful diesel engine is unmatched and the design is quite good.
- Engine: (D) 1998cc , 164bhp, 380Nm torque
- Mileage: (D) 17.3km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 16.5 lakh onward
18. Ford Endeavour
Ford has revamped the old boxy Endeavour into a modern day SUV, while retaining the go anywhere capabilities of the old one. Now one may think that the Fortuner is a good choice, but the design is quite outdated compared to the Endeavour. Also, given the engine choices, the Endeavour is all about big numbers and modern tech.
- Engine: (D) 2198/3198cc , 158/197bhp, 385/470Nm torque
- Mileage: (D) 14.2/10.9km/l
- On-road price: Rs. 29 lakh onward