At the end of 2016, Volkswagen will start production of one of its most important new models in the past five decades in Chattanooga, Tennessee: a seven-seater mid-size SUV. As a preview to this vehicle, Volkswagen is now showing the five-seater Cross Coupe GTE at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
The Volkswagen Cross Coupe GTE uses a plug-in hybrid system with a maximum output of 355 horsepower and an all-wheel-drive system that uses an "electric drive shaft". The hybrid has a manufacturer-estimated fuel economy rating of 70 MPG.
Volkswagen Cross Coupe GTE Specifications:
- 3.6-liter VR6 gasoline engine that produces 276 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque
- Two electric motors that produce 54 hp and 162 lb-ft (front) and 114 hp and 199 lb-ft (rear)
- Total output adds up to 355 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque
- Top speed of 130 mph
- 0 to 60 mph in 6.0 seconds
Volkswagen Cross Coupe GTE Features:
- LED dual headlights
- LED light wings
- Proximity and gesture controlled 10.1-inch infotainment touch screen
- Active Info Display
- Two-dimensional or three-dimensional navigational display
- 12.3-inch instrumentation screen
- 20 miles range on pure E-mode