At the Detroit Auto Show, Toyota launched its new TeenDrive365 distracted driving simulator with Oculus Rift, marking the first time the virtual reality technology is being used to educate the public – teens and parents alike – about the dangers of distracted driving.
To experience the new Toyota TeenDrive365 simulator you get behind the wheel of a stationary Toyota car, put on the Oculus Rift headset and are fully immersed in a virtual reality driving experience, complete with the three dimensional sights and sounds of a busy city street.
During the simulation, you are challenged to drive safely using the car's steering wheel and pedals, while navigating a series of common distractions, including traffic noises, the radio, text messages and virtual friends who occupy the passenger and back seats. Lose your focus and you'll experience the consequences of distracted driving within the virtual setting.
- 360 degree head tracking allows you to seamlessly look around. Every subtle movement of your head is tracked in real time creating a natural and intuitive experience.
- Oculus Rift creates a 3D view with excellent depth and scale. Unlike 3D on a television or in a movie, this is achieved by presenting unique and parallel images for each eye. This is the same way your eyes perceive images in the real world, creating a much more natural and comfortable experience.
- Oculus Rift also provides an approximately 100 degree field of view, stretching the virtual world beyond your peripheral vision.
- RealSpace 3D Audio leverages world-class scientific discovery to add a third dimension to the sound you hear through the virtual placement of sound in 3-D space with pin-point accuracy, creating the perception of real source direction, distance, depth, and movement relative to the listener and heard through standard stereo headphones.
- 3D Audio recreates the auditory ambience of the environment, creating a complete immersive audio experience.