The production version of the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider has been unveiled at the 2015 North American International Auto Show, combining scintillating performance with open-top thrills and the unmistakable soundtrack of an Italian, performance-tuned engine and exhaust.
The bodywork is made entirely from SMC (sheet moulded compound), a low-density, high-strength composite material that is 20 percent lighter and dimensionally more rigid than steel, and even the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider's windscreen and side windows have been optimised for lightness, using 10 percent thinner glass to reduce weight by up to 15 percent.
The Alfa Romeo 4C Spider will go on sale in Europe this summer, with pricing and UK specification to be announced closer to launch.
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Engine Specifications:
- 1750 cc turbocharged engine
- 240 hp
- 258 lb.-ft torque
- 1750 TBi engine
- Top speed of 160 mph
- 0-to-60 in 4.1 seconds
Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Features:
- Ultra-lightweight monocoque chassis
- Specially-contoured aluminium rollover bar
- Body-coloured engine deck-lid with three functional heat extractors
- Aerodynamically tuned spoiler
- Titanium exhaust system
- Dual-mode exhaust valve system
- Alpine premium audio system
- Re-tuned shock absorbers.