The 2016 Chevrolet Volt has been revealed at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show. The second-generation EV from the American manufacturer features an extended range, 50 miles of pure-EV range, greater efficiency, stronger acceleration and improved looks.
The new Volt gets a muscular design that is said to ‘incorporate Chevrolet performance vehicle DNA inspired in the wind tunnel'. Chevrolet's popular EV also gets greater attention to detail for materials and colours in an effort to impart it with a more premium feel.
The new propulsion system is claimed to allow drivers to enjoy an improved range of 400 miles or so, and up to 1000 miles between visits to the fuel pump with regular charging.
"The 2016 Chevrolet Volt provides our owners with a no-compromise electric driving experience," said Alan Batey, president of GM North America. "We believe our engineering prowess combined with data from thousands of customers allows us to deliver the most capable plug-in vehicle in the industry."
Highlights of the 2016 Chevrolet Volt:
- New two-motor drive unit that is up to 12 percent more efficient and 45 kilograms lighter
- 19 percent stronger 0-30 mph acceleration
- Increased battery capacity but overall lighter weight
- Regen on Demand: A paddle behind the steering wheel allows driver control of energy regeneration
- New 1.5-litre range extender that uses regular unleaded fuel
- Improved braking system with blended Regen feel